Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cinnamonrolled

I don't know about all of you, but I've struggled with recreating Mom's cinnamon rolls. Perhaps it is to be expected when the recipe is: melt some butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup and place in a pan with the cinnamon rolls on top. So last week I actually took the time to have a plan, measure the ingredients and remember them, and the results were close to what I think they should be. Of course I only did these three things for the caramel sauce that goes with the cinnamon rolls, not the butter, cinnamon, sugar etc. that go on the dough, but perhaps I shall document that another day. If you try this out, let me know what you think and we can continue to tweek it until we get it right.

Cinnamon Roll Caramel Sauce
for a pan of about 12 rolls

Cook for 3-4 minutes in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches a slow bowl:
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
Remove from heat and add, stirring until melted:
1/4 cup butter
Pour this into the bottom of your pan and proceed with the original recipe.

2 comments:

  1. So, a recipe from my Bread Baker's Apprentice Book, has a caramel glaze that Rick loves. And supposedly, when cinnamon rolls are made with a caramel glaze (sauce) they're called Sticky Buns (Rick likes it when I call them sticky buns...big surprise).
    The glaze recipe is: In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 pound butter, at room temperature.
    Cream together for 2 minutes on high speed with the paddle attachment. Add 1/2 cup corn syrup and 1 teaspoon lemon, orange, or vanilla extract. Continue to cream for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Cover the bottom of the pan with 1/4 inch layer. Refrigerate the excess for several months in sealed container.
    And then I sprinkle pecans and raisins on the bottom of the pan, and then lay down the pieces of dough on top.
    Sorry such a long comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mom's cooking instructions. They're only to be matched by her sewing patterns.

    ReplyDelete