Thursday, September 17, 2009

Freezing Tomatoes


This was given to me by a cousin who has since done away with bottling tomatoes completely. Pico de gallo in February anyone?

Boil pot of water. Turn off.
Stick in as many tomatoes as you can but still make sure they're all covered by water.
When the skin cracks, pull them out and place them in a sink or bowl of super cold water.
Core and skin.
Stick in another bowl.
Chop in half or quarter
Place in quart size freezer bags and then put three in one gallon-sized bag.
Freeze

When you want to thaw them, place in a colander and let them drain as they thaw.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be the first to comment...

    I actually froze half a bushel of tomatoes today, thanks to Rebekah's great tip. I think I will enjoy having a taste of summer packed away in my freezer all year long. Kisses to all my sisters.

    cluck cluck

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be so fun!! I froze some last year and have used them in sauces-yum. Thanks Scott and Becky for setting this up. Dad and I have our itenerary for Conference Weekend--there are about 60 or so delegates from all over the world coming-a few from Armania, Russia, Ukraine and Kazakstan. Saturday is basically a sightseeing day-we see Lagacy and go up to Heritage Park(This is the Place Monument area). Sunday morning we go to The Spoken Word and the first session of Conference-then lunch and more just socializing with them. We are excited about this--it will seem more real. I can also go to all the meetings for the symposium down at BYU the next 3 days also-in fact we will be staying down at the Marriot with all of them for 4 nights. I guess I could forward our agenda if you were interested.
    Love to you all--hugs and kisses

    ReplyDelete